Friday, May 6, 2022

Crema Catalana

Crema Catalana: Savory Sweet and Satisfying

My oldest daughter had to do a project for Spanish, where she had to pick an authentic Spanish recipe, make it at home and write up about it and take pictures of the food. Originally she wanted to make Sangria, I wasn't necessarily against it, I was surprised her teacher approved her to make an alcoholic drink. My biggest hesitation was, the fact that she would be unable to try the Spanish food she made and I do not like red wine, I've tried different varieties, I've tried sangria and just don't like it. So, she decided to make something different and this is what she choose.

Crema Catalana, reminds me of Créme Brûlée with the way it is prepared. It it similar in texture to a pudding with a citrusy taste. I am glad my daughter choose this recipe, because it was really good and I would have never came across this recipe let along tried it without her project.

My daughter did an awesome job making this recipe. I do not have a blowtorch for foods, so she used the broiler on the oven and it would just not brown. It created a crunchy sugar crust that tasted good, but neither of use could get it to brown and I was hesitant to leave it under the broiler any longer than it was already in there. I didn't have superfine sugar, so she used the food processor and regular granulated sugar, maybe that had something to do with it. Even though the sugar didn't work they way it was suppose to, we all agreed this was a delicious dessert.

Crema Catalana

Ingredients:

  • 2 cups milk
  • 2 strips orange peel
  • 2 strips lemon peel
  • 1 cinnamon stick
  • 4 egg yolks
  • 6 tablespoons granulated sugar
  • 1 tablespoon corn starch
  • 4 tablespoons superfine sugar

Directions:

  1. In a small saucepan add the milk, orange and lemon peel and cinnamon stick. Slowly heat the milk over medium-low heat.
  2. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, sugar and corn starch.
  3. Once the milk is warm, remove it from the heat and remove the orange and lemon peels and cinnamon stick. Slowly pour the egg mixture into the warm milk while whisking constantly.
  4. Place the saucepan over low heat and stir constantly until it has just thickened.
  5. Pour the mixture through a mesh sieve into a ceramic dish or individual ramekins. Place a piece of plastic wrap directly on top of the mixture and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight.
  6. Sprinkle superfine sugar over the top and melt with a blowtorch or under the broiler.
Enjoy!!!

Serves: 4
*Adapted from Caroline’s Cooking.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...