Wednesday, January 22, 2020

Habanero Cornbread

Habanero Chili: Savory Sweet and Satisfying

I had purchased a pack of habaneros this past summer for a recipe, but of course there was a bunch in the pack and most recipes call for 1 or maybe 2 at the most, since those little peppers pack quite a spicy punch. After using the habaneros I needed I froze the rest until I came across another recipe needing some. I didn't come across a recipe, so I decided habaneros in cornbread would be good. I've used jalapeños in cornbread before like my Jalapeño Cheddar Parmesan Cornbread Muffins and my Jalapeño Cheddar Cornbread Muffins.


I took a cheese cornbread and added a habanero to it, I almost added two habaneros because I wasn't sure one would be enough, but after considering how spicy these little suckers are I choose to use one and if needed make it again using two.

It is a good thing I only used one, the cornbread was plenty spicy. It packs a nice spicy punch, but it also has good flavor.  At first you don't get much heat from the habanero, but then as you swallow the heat comes through. I loved this cornbread and so did my husband.

Habanero Cornbread

Ingredients:

  • 1 cup all purpose flour
  • 1 cup cornmeal
  • 1/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
  • 1 cup buttermilk
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
  • 1 habanero, finely minced

Directions:

  1. Preheat the oven to 400 F. Spray an 8x8 baking dish with cooking spray.
  2. In a large bowl mix together the flour, cornmeal, baking soda, baking powder and sugar.
  3. In a medium bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, butter and eggs.
  4. Add the milk mixture to the dry ingredients along with the cheese and habanero. Mix just until everything is incorporated, do not over mix.
  5. Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking dish and bake for 20-30 minutes or until the top is turning golden brown and an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
Enjoy!!!


Nutrition Facts

Servings: 12

Amount Per Serving

Calories: 204

Total Fat

9.8g

Saturated Fat

5.7g

Polyunsaturated Fat

0g

Monounsaturated Fat

1g

Trans Fat

0g

Cholesterol

57.1mg

Sodium

207.1mg

Potassium

45.4mg

Total Carbohydrates

72.6g

Dietary Fiber

0.8g

Sugars

5.7g

Protein

7.6g

Vitamin A 18.1% Vitamin C 14.2%

Calcium 55% Iron 5.2%

*Nutritional information will vary depending on the brands you use.


*Adapted from Served from Scratch.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...