Thursday, September 28, 2017

Homemade Marshmallow Sauce

Homemade Marshmallow Sauce: Savory Sweet and Satisfying

I needed a marshmallow sauce for a recipe and of course I wanted to try a homemade version. The amount I would need would require me to buy at least 2 jars. So I knew a homemade version would not only be cheaper, but I would also know exactly what was in.

This marshmallow sauce was amazing! It tasted so much better than the jar stuff. The only downside was waiting for it whip up took forever and I mean forever. I thought it was never going to thicken. Now I did not time it, so I can't say exactly how long it took, but it sure felt like a long time. I had to keep walking away and set a timer to prevent myself from looking at it waiting for it to thicken. It reminded me of the saying "A watched pot never boils.". Well, eventually the sauce did thicken and after one taste, I knew the waiting was so worth it. Be sure to check back tomorrow to see what I used this yummy marshmallow sauce for.

Homemade Marshmallow Sauce

Ingredients:

  • 1 cup water, divided
  • 1 teaspoon unflavored powdered gelatin
  • 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
  • 1 cup light corn syrup
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions:

  1. Place 1/2 cup water into the bowl of a stand mixer and sprinkle with the gelatin powder.
  2. Place the remaining 1/2 cup water into a small saucepan and add the sugar and corn starch. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally until a candy thermometer reaches 240º F.
  3. Carefully pour the hot syrup over the gelatin mixture and using the whip attachment, whip on medium- low speed for two minutes. If the mixture is splashing outside of the bowl turn the speed down just enough so it does not splash out of the bowl.
  4. After 2 minutes, add the vanilla extract and then increase the speed of the mixer as high as you can so it does not splash out of the bowl and continue to whip until the sauce has thickened and is shiny and white, this will take some time.
Enjoy!!!

Notes:
I originally started out using my handheld mixer, but when turning the mixer speed up it was splashing everywhere so I switched to my stand mixer, which worked better.
*Adapted from Baking Moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...