Friday, November 10, 2017

Cottage Cheese Muffins

Cottage Cheese Muffins: Savory Sweet and Satisfying

These cottage cheese muffins have taken 3 tries to get them just right. I started out with a recipe that was interesting. Some of the ingredients were in grams so I had to convert, the vanilla was listed as "bit of vanillin or sachet of vanilla sugar". The directions weren't super clear either and used words I have never heard of like, triturated. Plus it had ingredients on the list but not in the directions. Also the picture of the muffins had a sugar topping on them which was not in the directions, but could have been in the ingredient list, I'm not really sure. Anyway, I used my baking knowledge and made the muffins using the recipe as a guide. The muffins turned out with a subtle cottage cheese flavor that was really good, but were a bit dry. So I decided to try again.

The second attempt were not dry at all, but I really could not detect any cottage cheese flavor. But I loved how moist they were. My oldest daughter like the first batch better and I was torn, I like the cottage cheese flavor of the first batch, but I like how the second batch was not dry. I was content to keep the second batch as the winner until I was working on the pictures and notice how the first batch had a nice dome on the top, where the second batch was more flat. So I decided one more try was needed.

The third attempt was a great combination first two batches. The muffins had a dome top, were not dry and had subtle cottage cheese flavor.

Cottage Cheese Muffins

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup large curd cottage cheese
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup Vanilla Greek yogurt
  • 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
  • 2 cups all purpose flour
  • 3 teaspoons baking powder
  • 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 1/3 cup granulated sugar
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 375º F. Line a muffin tin with liners.
  2. In a large bowl stir together the cottage cheese, sugar and vanilla. Add in the eggs and stir to mix. Add in the yogurt and stir to mix. Then add in the melted butter and stir to mix.
  3. In another bowl whisk together the flour and baking powder.
  4. Add the flour mixture to the wet mixture and stir just until combined, batter will be thick.
  5. Evenly divide the mixture between the prepared 12 muffins cups, they will be full.
  6. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
  7. Let muffins cool for about 10 minutes.
  8. Dip the top of the muffins into the melted butter and then into the sugar.
Enjoy!!!

Nutrition Facts
Serves: 12
Amount Per Serving
Calories 272
Total Fat
9.1g
Saturated Fat
5.3g
Polyunsaturated Fat
0.4g
Monounsaturated Fat
1.9g
Trans Fat
0g
Cholesterol
57.2mg
Sodium
186.8mg
Potassium
29mg
Total Carbohydrates
38.8g
Dietary Fiber
0.7g
Sugars
23.7g
Protein
8.8g
Vitamin A 7.73% Vitamin C 0.67%
Calcium 8.63% Iron 1.48%
*Nutritional information will vary depending on the brands you use.
*Adapted from Very Culinary.

1 comment:

  1. VERY SWEET. Will decrease the sugar from 1 cup to 1/4 cup if I ever make them again

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...