Friday, November 20, 2015

Chile Quiche with Hash Brown Crust

Chile Quiche with Hash Brown Crust: Savory Sweet and Satisfying

I have not made too many quiches over the years. I am not completely sure why. I know part of the reason is that my husband is not a fan of pie crusts. Don't get me wrong he loves pies. especially apple and pumpkin, but could do without the crust.


When I came across a recipe for a quiche that had chilies and hot sauce in it, I knew I needed to make it, but the pie crust part of the quiche would not go over well with my husband. Then one day it dawned on me, if I planned on serving this for breakfast why not use a hash brown crust. My husband can't complain about a hash brown crust. So I did and it was a hit with my husband and of course myself as well.

Chile Quiche with Hash Brown Crust

Ingredients:

  • 4 cups (not packed) frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed
  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
  • black pepper, to taste
  • cooking spray
  • 1 1/2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
  • 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
  • 4 ounce can chopped green chilies
  • 3 eggs
  • 3/4 cup light sour cream
  • 2-4 drops hot sauce

Directions:

  1. Move oven rack to the top 1/3 of the oven and preheat to 425º F. Spray a 9 inch pie dish with cooking spray.
  2. In a large bowl mixed together the thawed shredded potatoes, melted butter and black pepper.
  3. Place the potato mixture into the prepared pie dish.
  4. Press the potatoes down into an even layer on the bottom and up the sides of the pie dish. Pack the potatoes down until they are firmly packed. Spray the crust lightly with cooking spray.
  5. Bake for 30 minutes or until the hash brown crust is lightly browned on the bottom and golden brown on the sides.
  6. While the crust is baking, combine both cheeses and set aside 1/2 cup. Add the chopped chilies to the cheese and mix.
  7. In a medium bowl whisk together the egg, sour cream and hot sauce.
  8. When the hash brown crust is done, sprinkle the cheese and chile mixture on top of the crust.
  9. Then pour the egg mixture into the crust and sprinkle with the reserved 1/2 cup of cheese mixture.
  10. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until an inserted knife in the center comes out clean.
  11. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting and serving.
Enjoy!!!


Nutrition Facts

Servings 6

Amount Per Serving

Calories 369

Total Fat

25g

Saturated Fat

10.2g

Polyunsaturated Fat

0.5g

Monounsaturated Fat

1.9g

Trans Fat

0g

Cholesterol

155.9g

Sodium

732.6g

Potassium

478.2g

Total Carbohydrates

19.5g

Dietary Fiber

6g

Sugars

2.9g

Protein

18.5g

Vitamin A 14.8% Vitamin C 80%

Calcium 25.4% Iron 3.9%

*Nutritional information will vary depending on the brands you use.


*Adapted from Taste of Home.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...