Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Tomato Basil Soup

Tomato Basil Soup: Savory Sweet and Satisfying

A few years ago I never would of thought about making my own tomato soup, it was always the canned variety that I mixed milk into. But now I would never go back to the canned variety, I love making my own tomato soup. It is easy to do, and tastes a million times better than the canned variety, plus there are different varieties of tomato soup I can make.

Tomato Basil Soup: Savory Sweet and Satisfying

I recently remade this recipe and used dried basil since I could not find fresh. I used 1 tablespoon dried, but it was a little much so I would recommend 1/2 tablespoon, maybe slightly rounded, depending on personal taste. Add the dried basil in when you add the black pepper. 

Looking back at my original picture, I am not sure why the remake soup is so light in color compared to the original. It is making me wonder if I forget to add the cream in the original recipe. Oh well, it is still a delicious soup I will continue to make again and again.

Tomato Basil Soup

Ingredients:

  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
  • 14 ounce can whole tomatoes
  • 2 cups low sodium chicken stock
  • 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1/4 cup heavy cream
  • 3 rounded tablespoons chopped fresh basil

Directions:

  1. In a medium saucepan add in the olive oil and heat over medium low heat.
  2. Add in the garlic and sauté for 1 minute, being careful not to burn the garlic.
  3. Raise the heat to medium and add in the crushed tomatoes and whole tomatoes. Use a spoon or potato masher to break up the whole tomatoes, leaving some chunks.
  4. Add in the chicken stock, black pepper and sugar. Bring soup to a simmer and simmer for 10 minutes.
  5. Remove the soup from the heat and add in heavy cream and basil stirring to combine.
Enjoy!!!

Serves: 4
Calories: 224
Total Fat: 12.3g
   Saturated: 4.4g
   Polyunsaturated: 0.9g
   Monounsaturated: 6.6g
   Trans: 0g
Cholesterol: 20.5mg
Sodium: 640.9mg
Potassium: 683.5mg
Total Carbs: 21.9g
   Dietary Fiber: 6.4g
   Sugars: 10.8g
Protein: 5.5g
Vitamin A: 24.7%
Vitamin C: 19.7%
Calcium: 1.9%
Iron: 15.4%
*The nutritional information will vary slightly depending on the brands you use.
*Adapted from Everyday Occasions.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...