Thursday, July 17, 2014

Jalapeño Cheddar Cornbread Muffins

Jalapeño Cheddar Cornbread Muffins: Savory Sweet and Satisfying

I have never been a fan of cornbread. I have tried it several times, but just never really enjoyed it. That was until my mom asked me to make a broccoli cheddar cornbread when we were visiting awhile back for my dad's birthday. I tried a piece of the cornbread and it was delicious. So delicious in fact I went back for more.

When I commented how delicious it was my mom said that she only likes sweet cornbread. Wait, what!? There is sweet and unsweetened cornbread? Well apparently I have only had unsweetened cornbread and that is why I never liked them.




So with my new found taste for sweet cornbread I decided it was time to try some other varieties. It was only natural I try one with cheese and jalapeños considering I like things spicy and can never say no to cheese.

Seeing as this was only my second time making cornbread and first time making muffins I followed the recipe and divided the batter between 12 muffins cups. The muffin tins ended up being extremely full, which I questioned, but since I did not know how much they would change in the oven I went with it. Well, when they were done baking they had spread out a lot, so much in fact they were all touching and difficult to get out of the pan (as you can see in the first picture). So next time, and there will be a next time, I will only be filling them 3/4 full and hopefully it will work better.

Even though these cornbread muffins spread out like crazy they were amazing. I love how they are nice and sweet with a subtle kick. I also really enjoy having them in muffin form instead of having to cut pieces out of a pan. I can not wait to make these again!

UPDATE:
Oh my goodness, I finally did it! It has taken me several tries, but I finally got the muffins not to spread out like crazy. It took increasing the baking soda a little bit and adding some baking powder as well. Plus making 18 muffins instead of 12. 

Although the muffins did not bake up with the dome tops, I am glad the did not spread out. Maybe and that is a big maybe, I will go back to the original 12 muffins and see with the changes in ingredients I can get the dome on these muffins.

Jalapeño Cheddar Cornbread Muffins

Ingredients:

  • 2/3 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/4 cup honey
  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 cup buttermilk
  • 1 cup yellow cornmeal
  • 1 cup all purpose flour
  • 2 jalapeños, seeded and diced
  • 3/4 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese

Directions:

  1. Preheat oven to 350º F. Spray 2 muffin tins well with cooking spray.
  2. In a large bowl mix together the sugar, honey and melted butter until well combined.
  3. Add in the eggs, baking soda, baking powder and buttermilk. Whisk for one minute or until mixture is well combined.
  4. Add in cornmeal and flour, mixing until just combined.
  5. Add in jalapeños and cheddar cheese, stirring gently to combine.
  6. Fill prepared muffin tins 3/4 full. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown and an inserted toothpick comes out with a few moist crumbs.
Enjoy!!!

Serves: 18 (about)
Calories: 141
Total Fat: 6.4g
   Saturated: 3.8g
   Polyunsaturated: 0.3g
   Monounsaturated: 1.3g
   Trans: 0g
Cholesterol: 40mg
Sodium: 78.4mg
Potassium: 48.3mg
Total Carbs: 13g
   Dietary Fiber: 0.6g
   Sugars: 8g
Protein: 2.7g
Vitamin A: 6.4%
Vitamin C: 3.6%
Calcium: 4.4%
Iron: 1.8%
*The nutritional information will vary slightly depending on the brands you use.
*Adapted from Or Whatever You Do.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...