Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Sweet Potato Casserole

Sweet Potato Casserole: Savory Sweet and Satisfying

Growing up my parents were big fans of sweet potatoes, but no matter how my mom made them, I did not like them. The only way I semi-tolerated them was when they were mashed and covered with marshmallows, but even then I would eat a super small portion and make sure most of it was marshmallows.

Fast forward to when my first daughter was just over a year old. My parents were visiting and we went to a restaurant to celebrate my graduating with my master's degree. My mom ordered a meal that came with sweet potatoes. She of course let my daughter try them since she knew she had yet to try them, because of my dislike for them. Well, my mom ended up with maybe one bite of her sweet potatoes, because my daughter loved them so much.

Fast forward a few more years. We are with my husbands family celebrating Thanksgiving and his Aunt made this sweet potato casserole. I tried it on her recommendation and to my surprise I enjoyed it. So now this is the recipe I make every Thanksgiving.

Sweet Potato Casserole

Ingredients:

Sweet Potatoes

  • 3 cups cooked mashed potatoes (about 3 medium to large potatoes)
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/3 cup milk

Toppings

  • 1/3 cup unsalted butter, melted
  • 1/2 cup all purpose flour
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 1 cup walnuts or pecans

Directions:

  1. Preheat oven to 350º F.
  2. Combine mashed sweet potatoes, granulated sugar, softened butter, beaten eggs, vanilla and milk. Mix well.
  3. Spread into a 9x13 baking dish.
  4. Mix brown sugar, flour and nuts into the melted butter.
  5. Sprinkle over the sweet potatoes and bake for 25-30 minutes.
Enjoy!!!

Serves: 6
Calories: 347
Total Fat: 15.8g
   Saturated: 5.8g
   Polyunsaturated: 5.2g
   Monounsaturated: 1g
   Trans: 0g
Cholesterol: 64.2mg
Sodium: 39.2mg
Potassium: 354.3mg
Total Carbs: 48.3g
   Dietary Fiber: 2.9g
   Sugars: 33.9g
Protein: 4.9g
Vitamin A: 237.8%
Vitamin C: 19.6%
Calcium: 4.4%
Iron: 4.4%
*The nutritional information will vary slightly depending on the brands you use.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...