Friday, September 18, 2026

Sausage Macaroni and Cheese


Creamy and cheesy macaroni and cheese gets an upgrade with some sausage. I used regular Italian sausage for this macaroni and cheese and it was delicious. However, I think spicy sausage would be even more delicious. I may be partial since I like things spicy, but I think it would add some good flavor.

Sausage Macaroni and Cheese

Ingredients:

  • 16 ounces elbow macaroni
  • 1 pound Italian sausage
  • 1 medium yellow onion,diced
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 4 tablespoons all purpose flour
  • 4 cups milk
  • 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
  • 1/2 teaspoon gorund black pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
  • 4 ounces Swiss cheese, shredded
  • 4 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
  • 12 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded

Directions:

  1. Cook the pasta according to the package directions and drain well.
  2. Meanwhile, in a large pot over medium heat, cook the sausage, breaking it up as it cooks. One completely cooked remove the sausage to a bowl and set aside.
  3. Add the butter to the pot and allow to melt. Add in the diced onion and cook until softened, about 2-3 minutes. Add in the garlic and cook stirring constantly for 1 minute. Stir in the flour and allow to cook stirring constantly for 1 minute. Slowly pour in the milk while stirring constantly. Stir in all of the seasonings.
  4. Cook stirring constantly until the mixture has thickened, about 10 minutes. Stir in the shredded cheeses and continue to stir until completely melted.
  5. Add the sausage back into the pot and stir to combine.
Enjoy!!!

Notes:
You can use any combination of shredded cheese, you just need 20 ounces or about 5 cups of shredded cheese. 

The more fat your milk has, the creamier the mac and cheese will be. I used low fat milk to keep the calories lower.


Nutrition Facts

Servings: 8

Amount Per Serving

Calories: 778

Total Fat

44.5g

    Saturated Fat

22.4g

    Trans Fat

0g

    Polyunsaturated Fat

0g

    Monounsaturated Fat

0g

Cholesterol

130.4mg

Sodium

1044.4mg

Total Carbohydrates

55.6g

    Dietary Fiber

2.5g

    Sugars

9.7g

Protein

40.6g

Calcium

65.8%

Iron

11.1%

Potassium

241.7mg

Vitamin A

5.5%

Vitamin C

2.8%

*Nutritional information will vary depending on the brands you use.


*Adapted from Crazy For Crust.

No comments:

Post a Comment