Friday, August 30, 2024

Homemade Dill Pickles

Homemade Dill Pickles: Savory Sweet and Satisfying

Years ago I tried a few times to make homemade pickles. I was looking to try and make a low sodium version for my husband, but none of them turned out. When I came across this recipe a few years ago I immediately saved it. It looked super easy to make and for some reason I had a good feeling about this one, even if it was not low sodium.

Now for the "disclaimer " 😆 . These are not like store bought dill pickles. They do not have the same taste at all. But that is not to say they are not good. Most importantly, they have a good crunch and good flavor.

I wasn’t 100% sold on these pickles, as I was looking for or hoping for more of a close resemblance to store bought. But my family LOVED them and they were all gone in a matter of a few days. I also found myself going to the fridge and grabbing a pickle quite often. I just might need to quadruple the recipe next time, since this time I made more than a double recipe and they did not last long.

These pickles call for Persian cucumbers, which are also known as mini or baby cucumbers. The original recipe called for the cucumbers to be cut off at the ends and then sliced in quarters lengthwise, however, when I made these I was recovering from carpal tunnel and tendentious hand surgery and was unable to use one of my hands so I left them whole. Maybe next time I will cut them and see which way we like better.

Homemade Dill Pickles

Ingredients:

  • 1 1/2 pounds Persian cucumbers
  • 2 garlic cloves
  • 1/2 tablespoon dried dill weed
  • 1 cup white distilled vinegar
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 tablespoon kosher salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon whole peppercorns
  • 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
  • 1 pinch red pepper flakes

Directions:

  1. Wash and dry a few pint jars. Set aside.
  2. Wash the cucumbers and place them into the clean jars. To cut the cucumbers, cut off the ends and then slice lengthwise into quarters. Place into the clean jars.
  3. Smash the garlic cloves and add 1 to each jar. Set aside.
  4. In a small saucepan, combine the dill weed, vinegar, water, salt, peppercorns, sugar and red pepper flakes. Heat over medium heat and stir until the sugar has dissolved, about 2 minutes.
  5. Remove the saucepan from the heat and allow to cool for 10 minutes.
  6. Pour the liquid overtop of the cucumbers and place on the lids. Refrigerate for at least 24 hours.
Enjoy!!!


Nutrition Facts

Servings: 12

Amount Per Serving

Calories: 13

Total Fat

0g

    Saturated Fat

0g

    Trans Fat

0g

    Polyunsaturated Fat

0g

    Monounsaturated Fat

0g

Cholesterol

0mg

Sodium

482.6mg

Total Carbohydrates

3.4g

    Dietary Fiber

0.5g

    Sugars

0.4g

Protein

0.2g

Calcium

2.2%

Iron

0.4%

Potassium

19.5mg

Vitamin A

0.4%

Vitamin C

1.7%

*Nutritional information will vary depending on the brands you use.


*Adapted from Lauren's Latest.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...