Wednesday, July 20, 2022

Butterbeer Muddy Buddy

Butterbeer Muddy Buddy: Savory Sweet and Satisfying

The original muddy buddy or puppy chow as I call it, is good, you know the one with chocolate and peanut butter, but for me it is a snack that I can take or leave. But this version of muddy buddy, one with butterscotch and toffee bits, oh my, I could not get enough! I found myself grabbing a handful every time I went into the kitchen.

Butterbeer Muddy Buddy: Savory Sweet and Satisfying

I guess it is a good thing I really liked this version of muddy buddy, since it took three tries to get it right. The first time I followed the directions exactly and when I went to combine the melted butterscotch chips with the melted butter and extract/flavorings it did not combine and basically stayed separated. The next time I melted it all together and it just clumped. The third time I used a double broiler, not the microwave, and melted everything together at the same time and it worked perfectly, the mixture was nice and smooth. I also found through my three tries, that it works better to add the toffee bits right after adding and mixing the butterscotch mixture with the cereal. This way they do not melt as much, but still sticks to the cereal. 

Butterbeer Muddy Buddy

Ingredients:

  • 8 cups rice Chex cereal
  • 12 ounces butterscotch chips
  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cubed
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 teaspoon butter flavoring
  • 1/4 cup toffee bits
  • 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar

Directions:

  1. Place the cereal into a large paper bag or ziploc bag.
  2. In a doubler broiler, add the butterscotch chips, butter, vanilla extract and butter flavoring. Cook stirring occasionally until completely mixed and smooth. Immediately pour over the cereal, close the bag and shake to coat the cereal. Add in the toffee bits as soon as the cereal is coated and shake the bag again.
  3. Once everything is well mixed and coated, pour out onto to a cookie sheet. Spread into an even layer and allow to cool for 20 minutes.
  4. Add the mixture back into the bag, unless it is too messy, then use a new one. Add in the powdered sugar and shake to coat. 
Enjoy!!!


Nutrition Facts

Servings: 12

Amount Per Serving

Calories: 383

Total Fat

17.6g

    Saturated Fat

12.3g

    Trans Fat

0g

    Polyunsaturated Fat

0.3g

    Monounsaturated Fat

2.6g

Cholesterol

21.7mg

Sodium

210.3mg

Total Carbohydrates

53.6g

    Dietary Fiber

0.7g

    Sugars

39.4g

Protein

2g

Calcium

7.65%

Iron

33.5%

Potassium

48.7mg

Vitamin A

13.3%

Vitamin C

6.7%

*Nutritional information will vary depending on the brands you use.


*Adapted from Sugar and Soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...