Friday, May 1, 2020

Italian Chicken Pasta

Italian Chicken Pasta: Savory Sweet and Satisfying

Oh my goodness! This chicken is so unbelievably delicious! I really had my reservations when I was making it, because I made a change that I was not so sure was going to turn out to be a delicious one. The original recipe called for white wine or substitute with additional chicken broth. I always substitute with chicken broth for white wine. I love drinking white wine, not red, do not like red at all. However, I never buy white wine for cooking. I would not use it often enough to make it worth while to buy and have on hand.

Well, we have had this bottle of red wine sitting on the counter since Thanksgiving. We bought for some family to drink while they were visiting and since my husband and I don't drink red wine it has stayed on the counter ever since.

When I was making this dinner, I made an impulsive decision to use this red wine in place of the white wine to finish it up and get it off the counter. As it turned out I had just the right amount for the recipe, so yay, I no longer have a bottle of red wine on the counter.

Now as I write this I realize that if I want to make this again and have it taste the same, I would need to buy a bottle of red wine or borrow some. I guess I need to add this to my list of recipes to make again and try it with chicken broth to see how that tastes.

If you try it with chicken broth or even white wine, I would love to hear how it turned out for you.

Italian Chicken Pasta

Ingredients:

  • 12 ounces spaghetti noodles

Chicken

  • 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
  • 1/2 cup all purpose flour
  • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil

Sauce

  • 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 1 small yellow onion, diced
  • 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes
  • 1 tablespoon all purpose flour
  • 1 cup red wine
  • 1 cup heavy whipping cream
  • 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
  • 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
  • 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese

Directions:

  1. Cook the pasta according to the package directions, until al dente and drain.​
  2. Cut the chicken breasts in half horizontally and pat dry with paper towels.
  3. In a large shallow bowl, whisk together the flour, black pepper, garlic powder and Italian seasoning.
  4. In a large skillet, over medium-high heat, heat the olive oil.
  5. Working with one chicken breasts at a time, place it into the flour mixture, coating both sides and pressing down lightly to help the flour stick. Gently shake off any excess flour and place into the hot skillet. Repeat with the remaining chicken breasts.
  6. Cook the chicken breasts for about 4-5 minutes on each side, or until completely cooked and golden brown on each side. Remove the chicken from the skillet and set aside.
  7. To the same skillet, add the butter and allow to melt. Add in the onions and cook until softened, about 3 minutes. add in the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
  8. Add in the diced tomatoes and flour. Stir constantly for about 1 minute.
  9. Slowly whisk in the wine, followed by the heavy cream. Add in the Italian seasoning and red pepper flakes. Continue to whisk until the mixture begins to simmer.
  10. Add in the parmesan cheese and stir until melted and well mixed.
  11. Reduce the heat to low and add the pasta to the sauce, stirring to mix. Continue to heat on low heat, stirring occasionally for 2-4 minutes.
  12. Place the chicken on top of the noodles and allow heat for about 5 minutes to warm up the chicken.
  13. Serve and sprinkle with additional parmesan cheese if desired.
Enjoy!!!


Nutrition Facts

Servings: 6

Amount Per Serving

Calories: 701

Total Fat

30.3g

Saturated Fat

16.2g

Polyunsaturated Fat

0g

Monounsaturated Fat

2g

Trans Fat

0g

Cholesterol

155mg

Sodium

534.8mg

Potassium

14.9mg

Total Carbohydrates

66.4g

Dietary Fiber

3.3g

Sugars

5.1g

Protein

38.5g

Vitamin A 23.4% Vitamin C 12.3%

Calcium 18.1% Iron 12.7%

*Nutritional information will vary depending on the brands you use.


*Adapted from What's In The Pan.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...