Friday, May 15, 2020

Pineapple Upside Down Overnight Oats

Pineapple Upside Down Oatmeal

A few months ago I was looking for green maraschino cherries and when I couldn't find them in any stores around me, I decided to look online and see where I could possible buy them. In the process of that, I came across a recipe for homemade maraschino cherries. While reading that blog, she talked about how maraschino cherries are made and talk about a total shocker! I couldn't believe it, so I googled it just to make sure and sure enough she was right. I now don't think I could ever eat a maraschino cherry again, even though I really like them, knowing how they are made, I can't imagine eating one again. 

Traditionally pineapple upside down cake is made with maraschino cherries. However, with my my new found knowledge of those bright red cherries, I decided to use real deal cherries in this overnight oatmeal inspired by the cake and what a delicious decision that was. The tart cherries paired so well with the sweet pineapple.

Pineapple Upside Down Overnight Oats

Ingredients:

  • 1/2 cup old fashioned rolled oats
  • 1/4 cup nonfat Greek yogurt
  • 1 tablespoon brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 3 frozen tart cherries, cut in half
  • 1/4 cup pineapple chunks, drained

Directions:

  1. In a mason jar or other sealable container, add in the oats, Greek yogurt, brown sugar, milk and vanilla extract. Stir until well mixed.
  2. Add in the frozen cherry halves and pineapple chunks.
  3. Cover the container and refrigerate overnight.
  4. In the morning, stir well before eating.
Enjoy!!!

Notes:
If you find the pineapple chunks are too big of a bite, you can use pineapple tidbits instead.


Nutrition Facts

Servings: 1

Amount Per Serving

Calories: 327

Total Fat

3.8g

Saturated Fat

1.3g

Polyunsaturated Fat

1g

Monounsaturated Fat

1g

Trans Fat

0g

Cholesterol

8.7mg

Sodium

81.6mg

Potassium

245mg

Total Carbohydrates

53.1g

Dietary Fiber

5.2g

Sugars

27.9g

Protein

16.6g

Vitamin A 11.7% Vitamin C 35.1%

Calcium 21% Iron 9.8%

*Nutritional information will vary depending on the brands you use.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...