Wednesday, December 12, 2018

Homemade Butterscotch Sauce

Homemade Butterscotch Sauce: Savory Sweet and Satisfying

When looking for a homemade butterscotch sauce, I struggled to find one and the ones I did find were almost identical to the homemade caramel sauces I had found. So I realized that in order to pick a butterscotch sauce recipe and also a caramel recipe, I needed to figure out exactly what the difference between the two sauces are.

After a lot of research, probably too much research, I can tell you that the main difference between the two sauces is the sugar used. Caramel sauce uses granulated sugar and butterscotch uses brown sugar. You will find lots of caramel recipes that use brown sugar, but that is not a true caramel sauce. Some of the caramel recipes that call for brown sugar, use a simplified method for making the sauce and that is why they use brown sugar.

This butterscotch sauce is easy and super delicious. It reminds me how much I love the flavor of butterscotch and that I need to use more often.

Homemade Butterscotch Sauce


Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 1 cup dark brown sugar
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
Directions:
  1. In a medium saucepan, over medium heat, melt the butter.
  2. Add in the sugar and cream and whisk until well mixed.
  3. Bring the mixture to a boil and then reduce the heat to medium-low and gently boil for 5 minutes.
  4. Remove the saucepan from the heat and whisk in the vanilla extract. Sauce will thicken more as it cools.
  5. Serve warm or at room temperature. Store leftovers in the refrigerator and re-warm before serving.
Enjoy!!!
*Adapted from Brown Eyed Baker.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...