Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Mac and Cheese Soup with Chicken and Bacon

Mac and Cheese Soup with Chicken and Bacon: Savory Sweet and Satisfying

I went through several stages with this recipe. When I first came across it, I thought it would be great and pinned it right away. Mac and cheese in soup form, my kids would love it. Then when looking for a soup to make I looked at it again and thought, why? All it is is mac and cheese made runny and not thick. So I skipped it and moved on to the next recipe. 

Fast forward a few weeks and I looked at it again and had the same thought, all it is, is a runny mac and cheese, why am I keeping this recipe. I was just about to delete, but decided to keep it for some reason. Again a few weeks later I wanted to make a soup, but all I had was spicy soups that I knew my youngest would not eat and this one, mac and cheese soup. So, I decided I would try it, who knows it may surprise me.

I have to admit I was surprised by this recipe. Yes it is a runny mac and cheese, but it is a delicious runny mac and cheese. Plus there was something about eating mac and cheese with a spoon in a soup form. The whole family loved it.

Mac and Cheese Soup with Chicken and Bacon

Ingredients:

  • 2 cups dried uncooked elbow noodles
  • 3 tablespoon unsalted butter
  • 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
  • 2 cups half and half
  • 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
  • 10.75 ounce can condensed cheddar cheese soup
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1 1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
  • 3 cups cooked shredded chicken
  • 6 slices turkey bacon, cooked and crumbled

Directions:

  1. Cook the macaroni according to the package directions and drain, saving some of the pasta water.
  2. In a large pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Whisk in the flour and cook for 2 minutes, whisking constantly.
  3. Slowly whisk in the half and half and broth, whisking constantly.
  4. Stir in the cheddar cheese soup, ground mustard, garlic powder and onion powder. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer. Simmer until the mixture thickens, whisking often.
  5. Stir in the shredded cheddar cheese, stirring until melted.
  6. Add in the cooked chicken, bacon and macaroni. Stir until well combined and everything is heated through.
  7. Add more half and half or pasta water if the mixture gets too thick.
Enjoy!!!


Nutrition Facts

Servings 4

Amount Per Serving

Calories 839

Total Fat

45.2g

Saturated Fat

23.5g

Polyunsaturated Fat

0.6g

Monounsaturated Fat

2.5g

Trans Fat

0g

Cholesterol

189.8g

Sodium

625.2g

Potassium

371.9g

Total Carbohydrates

54.2g

Dietary Fiber

2.5g

Sugars

6.5g

Protein

52.1g

Vitamin A 24% Vitamin C 2.9%

Calcium 49.5% Iron 15.1%

*Nutritional information will vary depending on the brands you use.


*Adapted from Southern Bite.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...