Monday, November 30, 2015

Breakfast Pockets


I have discovered the downside to Pinterest. You save all these great pins, but every once in a while you go to a pin and it is no longer takes you to the thing you pinned, or it has been considered spam and will not let you see it. Or in the case with these breakfast pockets, you go to the pin and the site is not loading properly and you can not find the recipe. 

I tried looking all over the Internet and Pinterest for this recipe or one like it, but all I could find was links to the original recipe site that was no longer functioning properly. After being bummed for a little bit I decided that I was going to do my best to recreate the recipe. I had made it once before and I kind of remember what was in it and the process. Plus I consider my self a pretty good cook and baker, so I should be able to figure this out without a recipe. I tend to rely on recipes too much and not on my own abilities, but that is another post for another day.


I have to say I was very happy with the results. I do not remember exactly what the original recipe tasted like, but I do remember really liking it and my family liking it as well. That is why I saved the pin so I could make it again. Thankfully I was able to recreate this recipe so now I will always have the recipe and can make it again and again.

I also remember the original recipe had directions for freezing them and reheating for a quick breakfast or breakfast on the go. I have not tried this, mine never last long enough for me to freeze them, but will include directions for how I would freeze and reheat.

Breakfast Pockets

Ingredients:

Dough

  • 1 1/2 tablespoons active dry yeast
  • 1/2 cup warm water
  • 3/4 cup warm evaporated milk
  • 1/2 cup canola oil
  • 1/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 3 1/2 cups all purpose flour

Filling

  • 1 pound roll sausage
  • 1 1/2 cups frozen shredded hash browns, thawed
  • 7 eggs
  • 3 tablespoons milk
  • black pepper, to taste
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  • dash cayenne pepper, optional
  • 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese

Directions:

  1. In the bowl of a stand mixer, with the dough hook attached, add in the yeast and water. Give it a quick stir and allow to sit for 5 minutes.
  2. Add in the evaporated milk, oil, sugar, salt and 2 cups flour. Knead until the dough comes together into a smooth ball, adding additional flour as needed.
  3. Once the dough comes together into a smooth non sticky ball remove from the bowl and coat the bowl with cooking spray.
  4. Return the dough to the bowl and cover with a clean kitchen towel and let rise for about 1 hour, or until doubled in size.
  5. When the dough is ready punch it down and divided it into 16 equal pieces.
  6. Roll each piece into about a 7 inch circle.
  7. In a large skillet cook the sausage until cooked through and crumbled, drain.
  8. Add in the thawed hash browns, eggs, milk and spices. Cook until the eggs are set and scramble to your liking.
  9. Add in the cheese and stir to combine.
  10. Preheat oven to 350º F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or a silpat.
  11. Divide the filling evenly among the 16 circles, about 1/4-1/3 cup of filling per circle.
  12. Fold the circle over the filling and pinch the two sides together to enclose the filling. Make sure you pinch them closed well so they stay closed while baking.
  13. Bake for 15-20 minutes.
Enjoy!!!

Notes:
To freeze allow the breakfast pockets to cool completely after baking. Then place the baking sheets with the breakfast pockets on them in the freezer. Once the breakfast pockets are completely frozen transfer them to a freezer safe bag. When ready to eat pull out one breakfast pocket and wrap it in a paper towel and microwave on high for 1 1/2-2 minutes, or until warm.


Nutrition Facts

Servings 16

Amount Per Serving

Calories 371

Total Fat

22.1g

Saturated Fat

4g

Polyunsaturated Fat

2.4g

Monounsaturated Fat

5.1g

Trans Fat

0g

Cholesterol

116.1g

Sodium

366g

Potassium

89.9g

Total Carbohydrates

27.3g

Dietary Fiber

1.5g

Sugars

4.8g

Protein

15.7g

Vitamin A 3.7% Vitamin C 1.6%

Calcium 5.2% Iron 5.8%

*Nutritional information will vary depending on the brands you use.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...