Saturday, March 1, 2014

Crock Pot Quinoa Chicken Chili


I have not had or made many chicken chilies in my lifetime. In fact I think the only time I ever had a chicken chili was when I ate my Uncle's award winning White Chicken Chili. It was very good, so good in fact I decided to make a white chicken chili. Mine however was not so good, in fact it was pretty gross. Ever since then every time I come across a recipe for white chicken chili that looks good and I think I should give it another try, but never do. Just can not get over the disaster of the first one.


Although this is not white chicken chili, it is a chicken chili and very good. The addition of quinoa is a very interesting idea and to quote my oldest daughter "I can see the quinoa, but can't taste it.".

See both my daughters are not fans of quinoa, but my husband and I are and I have been trying lots of recipes in hopes of winning them over. I am still not sure if my girls liked this chili, but I do know for a fact both my husband and I enjoyed it very much.

Crock Pot Quinoa Chicken Chili

Ingredients:

  • 2- 14 1/2 ounce cans of no salt added diced tomatoes
  • 1- 14 ounce can diced tomatoes with green chilies
  • 1- 15 ounce can low sodium black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1- 15 ounce can chili beans in chili sauce
  • 1- 15 ounce can no salt added corn, drained
  • 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
  • 2 teaspoons garlic powder
  • 2 teaspoons onion powder
  • 2 teaspoons cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
  • 3 teaspoons chili powder
  • 1 cup quinoa, uncooked
  • 2 large boneless skinless chicken breasts, uncooked

Directions:

  1. Place all ingredients, except chicken, in crock pot stirring to combine.
  2. Add in chicken and gently stir.
  3. Cook on low 6-8 hours or on high for 4-6 hours.
  4. Remove chicken and shred. Return to crock pot and stir.
Enjoy!!!

Notes:
You can use frozen chicken breasts in this chili, just depending on your crock pot you may need to cook it a bit longer.

Serves: 8
Calories: 284
Total Fat: 2.7g
   Saturated: 0g
   Polyunsaturated: 0.1g
   Monounsaturated: 0.1g
   Trans: 0g
Cholesterol: 35mg
Sodium: 635.1mg
Potassium: 94.7mg
Total Carbs: 41.6g
   Dietary Fiber: 33.3g
   Sugars: 7.7g
Protein: 24g
Vitamin A: 19.5%
Vitamin C: 18.5%
Calcium: 10.5%
Iron: 18.5%
*The nutritional information will vary slightly depending on the brands you use.
*Adapted from The Girl Who Ate Everything.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...