Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Homemade Italian Seasoning Mix

Homemade Italian Seasoning Mix

Recently I came across a recipe that used a package of Italian dressing mix, however the high sodium levels in the package mix are too high for my husbands low sodium diet. So I went on a internet search to find a homemade version of the store bought variety. I found a good recipe and tweaked it to make it even lower in sodium.

This mix is just as good as the package you would buy in the store, but better for you. To really test it out I made the recipe twice, once using store variety and once using my homemade variety. To tell you the truth there was not a huge difference in taste between the two. I felt the homemade tasted a bit fresher, and my husband loved the lower sodium numbers.

*Note: The picture is missing two of the spices. I happen to run out of them, but needed to take the picture.

Homemade Italian Seasoning Mix

Ingredients:

  • 1 tablespoon garlic powder
  • 1 tablespoon onion powder
  • 2 tablespoons dried oregano
  • 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
  • 1 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1 teaspoon dried basil
  • 1/4 teaspoon thyme
  • 1/2 teaspoon celery seed

Directions:

  1. Mix all ingredients in a small bowl.
Enjoy

Notes:

Use entire amount in place of package for any recipe.

Calories: 79.6
Total Fat: 1.1g
   Saturated: 0.2g
   Polyunsaturated: 0.4g
   Monounsaturated: 0.2g
   Trans: 0g
Cholesterol: 0mg
Sodium: 12.8mg
Potassium: 330.8mg
Total Carbs: 18.0g
   Dietary Fiber: 4.6g
   Sugars: 4.8g
Protein: 3.3g
Vitamin A: 12.8%
Vitamin C: 14.4%
Calcium:17.4%
Iron: 31.8%
*The nutritional information will vary slightly depending on the brands you use.
*Adapted from once a month mom.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...