Wednesday, August 21, 2019

Rhubarb Pie

Rhubarb Pie: Savory Sweet and Satisfying

Rhubarb pie is one of my favorite pies, next to cherry pie. I have never made a rhubarb pie, just eaten them whenever I can get my mom to make one. This summer I saw rhubarb at the store and suggest to my mom making a pie. She said she would make one if I helped. I said I would make the filling if she did the crust. You see she likes the pie crust recipe my Nonnie used, but the recipe calls for an additional walnut sized lump of shortening. I am never sure how much a walnut sized lump is, so I do not make the pie crust often.

Rhubarb Pie: Savory Sweet and Satisfying

This pie was everything I wanted in a rhubarb pie. The filling was tart with a little sweetness. When making a rhubarb pie you can control how tart or how sweet the pie is by adding more or less sugar. I like mine a more tart than sweet so I use the least amount of sugar. If you like or want your pie more sweet use more sugar.

Rhubarb Pie

Ingredients:

  • 4 heaping cups diced rhubarb
  • 1-1 1/3 cups granulated sugar
  • 6 tablespoons all purpose flour
  • 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
  • 2 9-inch pie crusts, unbaked

Directions:

  1. Preheat the oven to 450º F.
  2. Place one unbaked pie crust into a 9-inch pie plate and trim the crust within 1/2 inch of the pie plate.
  3. In a small bowl whisk together the sugar and flour and sprinkle 1/4 of the mixture over the pie crust.
  4. Place the rhubarb into the pie plate, it will be mounded up.
  5. Sprinkle the rhubarb with the remaining sugar mixture and dot the rhubarb with small pieces of butter.
  6. Place the other unbaked pie crust on top and bring the top crust under the bottom crust and press the two together. Flute the edge of the pie crust using your thumb and forefinger or press the edges down with a fork.
  7. Place several slits in the top pie crust or prick multiple times with a fork.
  8. Place the pie plate onto a baking sheet and place on the lowest rack in the oven.
  9. Bake for 15 minutes and then reduce the oven temperature to 350º F and continue to bake for 40-45 minutes, until the filling is bubbly and the top crust is golden brown.
Enjoy!!!
*Adapted from allrecipes

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...