Friday, January 25, 2019

Breakfast Bombs

Breakfast Bombs: Savory Sweet and Satisfying

I have a love hate relationship with make ahead breakfast recipes. I love being able to get up Saturday morning and preheating the oven, putting breakfast in and waiting for it to bake. Talk about a relaxing Saturday morning. But every time I plan these types of breakfast, Friday night rolls around and I am always tired after the week and have no desire to spend my Friday night preparing breakfast for the next day.

This recipe sat on my to make list for several weeks and something always got in the way. I was either too tired on Friday or sick, or would not be able to bake it on Saturday morning. Finally I decided to make the whole thing on a Saturday morning. I was tired of it being on my to make list and really want to try the recipe.

When preparing to make these breakfast bombs, I originally was going to use a homemade roll recipe. However the recipe I found would make 40 rolls and the recipe could not be halved. So I decided to use frozen store bought yeast rolls, like listed in the original recipe. Then I realized I would still have extra frozen rolls. So I figured it only made sense for me to make my own and that way I could try out a recipe for frozen yeast rolls and have homemade rolls for the breakfast.

So on a Saturday morning I set out to make these bombs, including a homemade yeast roll. It took me all morning to finish, but the result was well worth it. These bombs are so delicious and worth every bit of work. I definitely would not do everything in one morning again, five hours from start to finish is a long time to wait for breakfast.

Breakfast Bombs

Ingredients:

  • 12 slices turkey bacon, cooked and crumbled
  • 8 eggs
  • 1/4 cup half and half
  • black pepper, to taste
  • 16 frozen dinner yeast rolls
  • all purpose flour
  • 8 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
  • 1 large jalapeño, diced
  • 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley

Directions:

  1. Line a baking sheet with a silpat or parchment paper.
  2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs and milk. Season with black pepper.
  3. Spray a non-stick skillet with cooking spray and heat over medium heat.
  4. Add the eggs to the hot skillet and cook, stirring occasionally until the eggs are scrambled and slightly runny, but with no liquid left, about 3-4 minutes. The eggs will cook more inside of the bombs, so if you completely cook the eggs now they will be dry when the bombs are done baking. Set the scrambled eggs aside.
  5. Place the dinner rolls on a microwave safe plate and using the defrost setting microwave for 3-4 minutes or just until the dough is no longer frozen, but not cooked.
  6. Lightly four a counter top and toss 1 piece of dough in the flour. Stretch or roll the dough into circle about 4 inches across.
  7. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of cheese on the dough and lightly press into the dough. In the center of the dough place 1 tablespoon scrambled eggs, 1 tablespoon bacon and 1/2 teaspoon diced jalapeños.
  8. Pull the edges of the dough up around the filling and pinch to seal the dough. Place the dough ball on the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining rolls and place about 3 inches apart on the baking sheet.
  9. Spray a piece of plastic wrap with cooking spray and cover the baking sheet. Refrigerate overnight.
  10. If you want to bake immediately, preheat the oven to 350º F and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until the tops are golden brown and dough is cooked through.
  11. If baking the following morning preheat the oven to 350º F and bake for 40-45 minutes, or until the tops are golden brown and dough is cooked through. If the tops start to get too brown before the dough is completely cooked lightly cover with aluminum foil.
  12. While the breakfast bombs are baking, melt the butter in a small microwave safe bowl. Add in the garlic and parsley, stirring to combine.
  13. When the breakfast bombs are done, brush the tops of them with the butter mixture and serve immediately.
Enjoy!!!

Notes:
I used a Homemade Frozen Yeast Rolls recipe for these bombs. I made the dough for the rolls and used the fresh, not frozen dough to make the bombs. I prepared the rolls up to the part of freezing the rolls, instead of freezing all of the rolls, I saved out 16 for the bombs. I then spread out the dough and filled and baked.

If you buy frozen rolls from the store, make sure you buy the kind that needs to rise before baking, not the ones that are ready in about 15 minutes.

Remove the seeds from the jalapeño before dicing to reduce the spiciness of these bombs.


Nutrition Facts

Servings: 16

Amount Per Serving

Calories: 266

Total Fat

15.8g

Saturated Fat

7.4g

Polyunsaturated Fat

0g

Monounsaturated Fat

0.8g

Trans Fat

0g

Cholesterol

125.3mg

Sodium

369.5mg

Potassium

3.8mg

Total Carbohydrates

19.8g

Dietary Fiber

1g

Sugars

2.2g

Protein

10.9g

Vitamin A 8.7% Vitamin C 1.7%

Calcium 11.5% Iron 8.1%

*Nutritional information will vary depending on the brands you use.


*Adapted from The Slow Roasted Italian.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...