Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Homemade Marshmallow Fondant

I have never worked with or tasted fondant. I do know that you can buy it in several different stores and it is not hard to find, but I have never had the desire to cover a cake with it. And I have always been able to use candy or frosting to decorate cakes. It could also be because I have heard that it may look really nice, but it does not taste the best.

Homemade Marshmallow Fondant: Savory Sweet and Satisfying

A while back I found a recipe for a homemade fondant using marshmallows. I figured I would hang on to the recipe in case I ever decided to try fondant, and I also figured it would taste better than store bought fondant because it is made with marshmallows.

When I was getting ready to make a puppy birthday cake for my oldest daughter, I needed something for the puppy's eyes, nose, tongue and collar. Normally I would use candy for the puppy's features, but of course in the pounds and pounds of Halloween candy my girls had there was nothing that would work. So I decided it would be a great time to try this marshmallow fondant.

I have to say that this fondant is really easy to work with and tastes pretty good. It is also easy to dye, just flatten out the fondant a bit, add a little bit of gel food coloring, then knead until the fondant is completely dyed. There is no doubt I will be using this fondant again.

Homemade Marshmallow Fondant

Ingredients:

  • 4 cups mini marshmallows
  • 1/2 tablespoon water
  • 4-5 cups powdered sugar, sifted

Directions:

  1. Place marshmallows and water into a microwave safe bowl. Microwave on high in 30 seconds intervals, stirring in between until completely melted.
  2. Stir in 2 cups sifted powdered sugar until it gets thick and hard to stir.
  3. Dump out onto a clean work surface and knead in more powdered sugar until you have a smooth ball that is no longer sticky.
  4. Store in plastic wrap at room temperature until ready to use.
Enjoy!!!

*Adapted from Lauren's Latest.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...