Saturday, April 27, 2013

Spicy Cilantro Hummus


A few years ago I was introduced to hummus and I discovered several things. One, I do not like plain hummus, only flavored hummus. Two, I do not like the price of prepackaged hummus for the amount you get.

Thus began the internet search for a homemade hummus recipe. I tried several recipes and I liked the flavor of them, but the consistency was not right. It was not smooth like the prepackaged varieties. After spending many hours researching homemade hummus and trying different methods, I discovered what I believe to be the secret to smooth homemade hummus and I am here to share it with you!

Spicy Cilantro Hummus: Savory Sweet and Satsifying

It is all about the order you put the ingredients in your food processor and how many chickpeas you add at once. The first batch I made using my new found way turned out smooth. Some will say taking of the skins of the chickpeas will help make the hummus smooth as well. I tried this, and I can tell you it is the biggest time consuming task ever, and it really does not make much of a difference in the consistency of the hummus. So if you follow the directions below your hummus will turn out smooth.

Spicy Cilantro Hummus

Ingredients:

  • 1/4 cup tahini (sesame-seed paste)
  • 1/4 cup lemon juice
  • 7 ounce can chopped green chilies, undrained
  • 1/4 cup jarred jalapeno slices
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
  • dried cilantro dried cilantro
  • 2 cloves garlic, peeled
  • 2-15 ounce cans chickpeas, drained
  • 1/2 cup liquid from drained chickpeas
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil

Directions:

  1. In a food processor add tahini and lemon juice. Mix well.
  2. Add in the chilies, jalapeƱos ,salt, pepper, and cilantro. Mix well.
  3. Add in the whole garlic cloves and a handful of chickpeas. Mix well. Continue adding handfuls of chickpeas mixing well after each addition.
  4. Add in the liquid from drained chickpeas, and olive oil. Mix until well blended.
  5. Store in an airtight container and refrigerate overnight before serving.
Enjoy!!!

Serves: 10
Calories: 154.5
Total Fat: 7.8g
   Saturated: 1g
   Polyunsaturated: 0.3g
   Monounsaturated: 2g
   Trans: 0g
Cholesterol: 0mg
Sodium: 287.2mg
Potassium: 36.4mg
Total Carbs: 17.0g
   Dietary Fiber: 3.0g
   Sugars: 2.8g
Protein: 6.5g
Vitamin A: 0.2%
Vitamin C: 13.8%
Calcium: 4.8%
Iron: 10.5%
*The nutritional information will vary slightly depending on the brands you use.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...