Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Dill Pickle Humus

Dill Pickle Humus: Savory Sweet and Satisfying

It is amazing how many different homemade hummus recipes you can find with a simple search of the Internet. I had thought I had made most all of them, but then I came across this one for Dill Pickle Hummus. How have I never come across this one before in my homemade hummus searches?!

This immediately went on my list of recipes to make for the next week. That week also happened to be the week my parents were going to be visiting. When I got out my homemade hummus for lunch one day I warned my mom that it was packed with dill pickles, but not to worry there was another hummus I knew she would like.

Now my mom is not a dill pickle fan. She will not eat a dill pickle plain or even on a sandwich. She just does not eat them. However, my mom said she would try it and to my surprise and I think her surprise, she loved it.  I never thought my mom, the non dill pickle eater, would actually love a hummus made out of dill pickles. I guess that just goes to show how delicious this hummus really is.

Dill Pickle Hummus

Ingredients:

  • 15 ounce can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
  • 3/4 cup chopped dill pickles
  • 2 tablespoons dill pickle brine (from the jar pickles)
  • 1/4 cup tahini
  • 1 clove garlic, chopped
  • 2 teaspoons dried dill
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice, fresh squeezed
  • 1/4 cup olive oil

Directions:

  1. In a food processor, add the chickpeas, 1/2 cup chopped pickles, pickle brine, tahini, garlic, dill, lemon juice. Process until smooth.
  2. With the food processor on, slowly drizzle in the olive oil and process until well blended.
  3. If the hummus is too thick for your taste add 1 tablespoon of warm water until your desired consistency is reached.
  4. Transfer the hummus to a resealable container and top with the remaining chopped dill pickles.
  5. Refrigerate overnight and then stir before serving.
Enjoy!!!


Nutrition Facts

Serves: 6

Amount Per Serving

Calories 234

Total Fat

17.9g

Saturated Fat

2.4g

Polyunsaturated Fat

0.9g

Monounsaturated Fat

6.7g

Trans Fat

0g

Cholesterol

0g

Sodium

551g

Potassium

180.7g

Total Carbohydrates

14.4g

Dietary Fiber

4.2g

Sugars

1.4g

Protein

6.7g

Vitamin A 1% Vitamin C 2.4%

Calcium 4.4% Iron 10.9%

*Nutritional information will vary depending on the brands you use.


*Adapted from Turnip The Oven.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...