Thursday, September 8, 2016

Homemade Buffalo Sauce

Homemade Buffalo Sauce: Savory Sweet and Satisfying

I always have two bottles of Frank's Red Hot Sauce in my house. One in the fridge and one in the pantry for when the one in the fridge runs out. Since I buy it at Costco and they only sell it in a two pack, that kind of makes it easy to have two on hand.

A vast majority of the recipes I come across call for hot sauce, but every once in a while one calls for buffalo sauce. Since hot sauce is spicier than buffalo sauce they are not interchangeable in equal amounts. So usually I would use hot sauce in place of buffalo sauce and reduce the amount.

That method always worked for me, except one time. The dish was so spicy, it was practically inedible. After one bite, my mouth was on fire, my lips were burning, my nose was running and I was starting to sweat. Some how my husband and I managed to eat it, but after that I decided to stop using hot sauce in place of buffalo sauce.

So fast forward a few months and I wanted to make a recipe that called for buffalo sauce, however I did not want to buy a whole bottle of the sauce when I only use it occasionally. Then I realized bottle buffalo sauce is a newer product so I know I can make it myself for those ocassions when I need it. I knew it was equal parts butter and hot sauce, but not sure if it included any other ingredients.

Turns out everyone seems to make it a little different. Some do not use equal parts butter and hot sauce, and some use lots of spices. Some cook it and some don't. After viewing a few different ones, I choose the one you see below. It was simple, no cooking required and can be made at a moments notice.

Homemade Buffalo Sauce

Ingredients:

  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
  • 1/2 cup hot sauce
  • 2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
  • 2 teaspoons Worcestershire Sauce
  • pinch garlic powder

Cooking Directions:

  1. In a bowl whisk together all of the ingredients until well combined.
  2. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
  3. Shake well to blend before each use.
  4. The buffalo sauce will last about 1 month.
Enjoy!!!


Nutrition Facts

Serves: 19- 1 tablespoon each

Amount Per Serving

Calories 43

Total Fat

4.6g

Saturated Fat

2.9g

Polyunsaturated Fat

0.2g

Monounsaturated Fat

1.2g

Trans Fat

0g

Cholesterol

12.6g

Sodium

242.5g

Potassium

4.9g

Total Carbohydrates

0.1g

Dietary Fiber

0g

Sugars

0.1g

Protein

0g

Vitamin A 5.9% Vitamin C 0.1%

Calcium 0.1% Iron 0.2%

*Nutritional information will vary depending on the brands you use.


*Adapted from Add a Pinch.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...