Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Rhubarb Ice Cream

Rhubarb Ice Cream: Savory Sweet and Satisfying

Rhubarb has always been a favorite of mine. I remember growing up and asking for rhubarb pie and most times being told it is not in season. But when it was in season and my mom made that rhubarb pie, oh yummy yum yum. I just love the tartness of rhubarb.

Two years ago in spring, I decided it was time to try rhubarb in other ways besides a pie. Unfortunately out of the four recipes I tried it in only one was a keeper, Strawberry Rhubarb Muffins. The good news was one of the recipes just need some tweaking to make it perfect. The bad news was when I made this recipe and decided to tweak it, I could no longer find rhubarb in the stores.

The following spring I could not find rhubarb in any stores around me and I searched really hard to try and find some. The store I had originally found rhubarb at was closed and now operating under a new name and did not carry rhubarb. I was so bummed, I looked for months trying to find rhubarb, with no luck.

So I had to wait two whole years to try this recipe again, that is a really long time for me to wait to try and prefect a recipe. But here it is my perfected rhubarb ice cream. It is sweet and tart and all around delicious.

Rhubarb Ice Cream

Ingredients:

  • 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 1 cup brown sugar, not packed
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 4 1/2 cups rhubarb, chopped into 1/2 inch chunks
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • 2 cups half and half

Directions:

  1. In a medium saucepan, over medium low heat, melt the butter.
  2. Add in the brown sugar, vanilla extract and rhubarb, stirring to combine.
  3. Place a lid on the saucepan and simmer until the rhubarb is soft, about 15 minutes.
  4. Remove from heat, remove lid and break up the rhubarb with a spoon.
  5. Cool for about 10 minutes.
  6. Add heavy cream and half and half to the rhubarb mixture, stirring to combine.
  7. Refrigerate until mixture is completely cold.
  8. Place a freezer safe container for storing the ice cream in the freezer.
  9. Churn according to your ice cream makers directions.
  10. When ice cream is done churning, remove storage container from the freezer and transfer ice cream into it.
  11. Freeze until ready to eat. Let sit out for about 10 minutes before serving
Enjoy!!!

*Adapted from Not without Salt.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...