Monday, July 6, 2015

Homemade Sausage Gravy

Homemade Sausage Gravy: Savory Sweet and Satisfying

My husband is a fan of the white breakfast gravy. He has been known to order a side of it at restaurants and add it to what ever he ordered for breakfast. In college there was a local restaurant that had a skillet meal with eggs, sausage and I do not know what else all smothered in white gravy.

So when I came across a breakfast recipe that called for white breakfast gravy, I knew my husband would enjoy it. However, the recipe called for a packet of gravy mix and I knew it would be too high in sodium so I decided to make my own breakfast gravy.

This sausage gravy was a huge hit with my husband. I figured I would have some leftover to freeze after making the breakfast I wanted to make for him, but my husband asked if he could make breakfast the next day and use the leftover gravy.

Homemade Sausage Gravy

Ingredients:

  • 16 ounces roll sausage
  • 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 1/2 cup all purpose flour
  • 4 cups milk
  • 1 teaspoon ground sage
  • 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper

Directions:

  1. In a large skillet over medium high heat, cook sausage until completely cooked. Transfer sausage to a paper towel lined plate to absorb any extra grease.
  2. In the same skillet melt the butter and add sausage back to skillet. Stir to coat the sausage with the butter.
  3. Add in the flour and stir to coat the sausage with flour. Stir and cook for about 2-3 minutes.
  4. Slowly stir in the milk and cook stirring constantly for about 1 minute.
  5. Add in the sage, onion powder and black pepper. Bring the gravy just to a boil and then turn the heat down to low.
  6. Cook for 5-10 minutes, stirring often, until gravy has thicken.
  7. Transfer gravy to a glass container and allow to cool for a few minutes before closing container. Once gravy as cooled a bit refrigerate overnight to allow the flavors to blend.
  8. Reheat gravy over low heat on the stove until warm, add additional milk if needed to reach desired consistency.
Enjoy!!!

Serves: 8
Calories: 299
Total Fat: 23.9g
   Saturated: 9.3g
   Polyunsaturated: 0.2g
   Monounsaturated: 1.5g
   Trans: 0g
Cholesterol: 63.7mg
Sodium: 453.4mg
Potassium: 214.1mg
Total Carbs: 13.6g
   Dietary Fiber: 0.1g
   Sugars: 6g
Protein: 5.7g
Vitamin A: 9.8%
Vitamin C: 1.1%
Calcium: 14%
Iron: 2.9%
*The nutritional information will vary slightly depending on the brands you use.
*Adapted from wifessionals.com, which now gives me security threats if I try and visit.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...