Thursday, July 31, 2014

Southwest Potato Salad

Southwest Potato Salad: Savory Sweet and Satisfying

Once I perfected my Loaded Potato Salad I never really looked or thought about another potato salad, that was until I saw this one. It intrigued me enough to give it a try.

I have to say I was pleasantly surprised, I did not think I would ever find another potato salad that I liked as much. This will definitely be made again.

This recipe calls for adobo seasoning and I did not want to have another spice jar in my spice drawer that I may or may not use again. So, I choose to make a homemade version. I have included my homemade version for you if you want to try it. It does make about 3 1/2 tablespoons so you will have some extra, just not as much as a whole jar.

Southwest Potato Salad

Ingredients:

  • 3 pounds red potatoes
  • 4 slices turkey bacon, cooked and crumbled
  • 1 poblano pepper
  • 4 green onions, sliced
  • 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Dressing

  • 1/2 cup mayonnaise
  • 1/2 cup light sour cream
  • 1 teaspoon adobo seasoning
  • 1/2 teaspoon paprika
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1 teaspoon lemon juice
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley

Homemade Adobo Seasoning

  • 1/2 tablespoon paprika
  • 1 teaspoons black pepper
  • 3/4 teaspoons onion powder
  • 3/4 teaspoons dried oregano
  • 3/4 teaspoons ground cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon chili powder

Directions:

  1. Preheat oven to 375º F.
  2. Rinse the potatoes and place them on a rimmed baking sheet.
  3. Bake for 40-50 minutes or until tender.
  4. Cool the potatoes completely and then cut into bite sized pieces.
  5. Increase oven temperature to 450º F.
  6. Place the poblano pepper on a baking sheet and bake for 5-10 minutes, turning once, or until skin is charred and blistered.
  7. Place pepper in a bowl and immediately cover tightly with plastic wrap. Keep the pepper in the covered bowl for 10-15 minutes.
  8. Remove pepper from the bowl and remove skin and seeds. Dice poblano and set aside.
  9. In a small bowl combine the mayonnaise, sour cream, adobo seasoning, paprika and black pepper.
  10. Add in lemon juice and parsley, stirring to combine.
  11. In a large bowl add in the cooled potatoes, dressing, diced poblano, crumbled bacon and diced green onions. Mix until completely combined.
  12. Add in the cheddar cheese and mix gently to combine.
  13. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Enjoy!!!

Serves: 8
Calories: 440
Total Fat: 20g
   Saturated: 5.4g
   Polyunsaturated: 6.2g
   Monounsaturated: 3.7g
   Trans: 0g
Cholesterol: 26.1mg
Sodium: 309.9mg
Potassium: 1,353.4mg
Total Carbs: 69.6g
   Dietary Fiber: 5.5g
   Sugars: 7.7g
Protein: 10.8g
Vitamin A: 11.5%
Vitamin C: 39.5%
Calcium: 13.7%
Iron: 18%
*The nutritional information will vary slightly depending on the brands you use.
*Adapted from Simply Scratch.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...