Monday, July 15, 2013

Crock Pot Creamy Chipotle Chicken Tortellini

Crock Pot Creamy Chipotle Chicken Tortellini

This recipe is the last one in my series of chipotle recipes. I have finally used up the last of the chipotle peppers and it only took five recipes to do it! I am still amazed at how many were in that little can I bought.

I love the convenience of a crock pot, however I have discovered the importance of really getting to know your crock pot. After several mishaps with recipes and lots of research, I discovered that my crock pot gets really hot, therefore cooking faster. This helps to explain why several of my recipes did not turn out so well.

Knowing that my crock pot cooks faster, therefore evaporating the liquid quicker, I increased the amount of chicken broth. So you may need anywhere between 32 ounces and 48 ounces depending on how your crock pot cooks. You can always add the lesser amount and keep an eye on it adding more if needed during the cooking time.

This recipe filled my crock pot to the top, I mean there was absolutely no room left when I was done adding the ingredients, so I recommend you add the ingredients in the order I have them listed below that way the things that need to be cooked are closer to the liquid and will cook better.

Crock Pot Creamy Chipotle Chicken Tortellini

Ingredients:

  • 48 ounces low sodium chicken broth, divided
  • 3 medium boneless, skinless chicken breasts
  • 8 ounces reduced fat cream cheese, softened and cubed
  • 1 pound dry tortellini
  • 8 cups broccoli florets
  • 5 chipotle peppers, pureed
  • 1 tablespoon chipotle sauce
  • 2 teaspoons ground cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper

Directions:

  1. Place chicken breasts into a crock pot and pour 1 cup chicken broth over top.
  2. Cook on high for 2 1/2-4 hours, or until chicken is completely cooked and shreds easily with a fork.
  3. Shred chicken and strain out the chicken broth and return the chicken to crock pot.
  4. Add the remaining 40 ounces of chicken broth to crock pot.
  5. Using a mini chopper or other device and puree the chipotle peppers along with the chipotle sauce.
  6. Add the chipotles to the crock pot along with the cumin, black pepper and give it a little stir.
  7. Add the cream cheese, broccoli, tortellini and shredded chicken.
  8. Put on lid and cook on high for 1 1/2-2 hours.
  9. Stir gently to combine all ingredients.
Enjoy!!!

Serves: 6
Calories: 451.9
Total Fat: 12.1g
   Saturated: 7.3g
   Polyunsaturated: 0g
   Monounsaturated: 0g
   Trans: 0g
Cholesterol: 107.9g
Sodium: 534.0mg
Potassium: 624.3mg
Total Carbs: 37.5g
   Dietary Fiber: 4.6g
   Sugars: 7.3g
Protein: 42.9g
Vitamin A: 63.7%
Vitamin C: 166.1%
Calcium: 24%
Iron: 35.4%
*The nutritional information will vary slightly depending on the brands you use.
*Adapted from Picky Palate.
Other recipes with chipotle peppers:
   Chipotle Chicken and Corn Chowder
   Chipotle Hummus
   Chipotle Chicken Fajita Rice Bowls
   Chipotle Chicken Lettuce Wraps

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...