Monday, June 3, 2013

Banana Split Oatmeal

Banana Split Oatmeal

Right around the start of strawberry season the weather started to warm up and get nice! I was so excited, not only for warmer weather, but for strawberry season. I love strawberries and so does my family!!

I had been wanting to make this oatmeal for a while, but was waiting for strawberry season. However, eating oatmeal when the weather was so warm just did not seem right. I can't believe I am going to say this, but I was glad that we ended up with some cold days so I could try this oatmeal.

All I can say about this oatmeal is yummy! Now there was a bit of disagreement about the walnuts. My girls liked them in the oatmeal, but my husband and I did not care for the walnuts in the oatmeal. Either way you make this you will be glad you did.

Banana Split Oatmeal

Ingredients:

  • 2 cups old fashioned rolled oats
  • 1 cup fat free milk
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 cup sliced strawberries
  • 1 banana, thinly sliced
  • 2 tablespoons dark chocolate chips
  • 2 tablespoons walnuts, toasted and roughly chopped (optional)

Directions:

  1. In a medium saucepan bring milk and water to a boil.
  2. Stir in oats and simmer for about 10 minutes, or until oats are soft and most of the liquid is absorbed.
  3. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla extract.
  4. Divide oatmeal among four bowls and top with strawberries, bananas, chocolate chips and walnuts.
Enjoy!!!

Serves: 4
Calories: 262.2
Total Fat: 12.6g
   Saturated: 2.4g
   Polyunsaturated: 0.3g
   Monounsaturated: 0.3g
   Trans: 0g
Cholesterol: 2.5mg
Sodium: 65.9mg
Potassium: 441mg
Total Carbs: 31.7g
   Dietary Fiber: 4.4g
   Sugars: 16.6g
Protein: 8.7g
Vitamin A: 5.5%
Vitamin C: 45.5%
Calcium: 15.4%
Iron: 6.8%
*The nutritional information will vary slightly depending on the brands you use.
*Adapted from Fort Mill SC Living.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...