Saturday, May 11, 2013

Three Olive Hummus


Three Olive Hummus

A few years ago my mom and I were at a grocery store in northern Michigan and I discovered a container of olive hummus. A perfect hummus for an olive lover like me.

One bite and I was hooked. The flavor was delicious! The only problem was the store we found it at was the only store my mom or I have ever seen olive hummus.

So, last year I swiped the label off of the hummus container and brought it home with me to determine what was in it and recreate it.

Three Olive Hummus: Savory Sweet and Satisfying

It was not too hard to recreate. The list of ingredients was very similar to my base hummus recipe, so all I had to do was add was the same olives as listed on the container to my base hummus recipe.

The results was a delicious hummus full of olive flavor.

Three Olive Hummus

Ingredients:

  • 1/4 cup tahini (sesame seed paste)
  • 1/2 cup liquid from chickpeas
  • 1/4 cup lemon juice
  • 3 cloves garlic
  • 1/2 teaspoon paprika
  • 1 teaspoon parsley flakes
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 2-15 ounce cans chickpeas, drained
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1/3 cup green olives stuffed with pimento, drained
  • 1/3 cup kalamata olives, drained
  • 1/3 cup black olives, drained

Directions:

  1. In a food processor combine tahini, lemon juice and chickpea liquid.
  2. Add in the garlic, paprika, parsley, thyme, and oregano, mix well.
  3. Add in the chickpeas in several batches.
  4. Add in the olive oil, with food processor running and mix well.
  5. Add in the olives and mix.
Enjoy!!!

Notes:
If you do not want to buy kalamata olives or can't find them, you can use more green and black olives to equal the amount of the kalamata olives. The bottom picture is the hummus without the kalamata olives.

Serves: 10
Calories: 198.7
Total Fat: 12.5g
   Saturated: 1.3g
   Polyunsaturated: 0.5g
   Monounsaturated: 5.7g
   Trans: 0g
Cholesterol: 0mg
Sodium: 432.9mg
Potassium: 15.3mg
Total Carbs: 16.3g
   Dietary Fiber: 5.1g
   Sugars: 2.8g
Protein: 6.1g
Vitamin A: 1.3%
Vitamin C: 4.7%
Calcium: 5.5%
Iron: 10.5%
*The nutritional information will vary slightly depending on the brands you use.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...