Wednesday, July 15, 2020

Dalgona Coffee


Dalgona Coffee: Savory Sweet and Satisfying

A few months ago when this Dalgona coffee went viral, I very quickly gave it a try. How could I not?! I love coffee and this seemed like some sort of coffee magic. Then after trying it, somehow my normal process of marking recipes to blog didn't work and I never blogged, that is until now. Better late than never, especially with this delicious drink.

I am not a big milk drinker, I have milk on cereal when I eat it, but I never just drink a glass of milk, However, with this whipped coffee on top I would gladly drink a glass of milk everyday, well, except for the amount of sugar.

If you are not familiar with this latest coffee trend, Dalgona coffee is essentially whipped coffee. You take equal parts of sugar, water and instant coffee and whip the heck out of it until it becomes this thick and fluffy delicious coffee mixture. That mixture is then added to the top of a glass of milk. The milk can either be cold or warm depending on whether you want a hot or cold drink.

When whipping the mixture, I recommend using an electric mixer, it will cut the time down significantly. You can use a hand whisk, but be prepared to be whisking for a while. Your arm will definitely get a workout whipping this mixture by hand.

The original Dalgona Coffee uses instant coffee, but I never have that on hand and didn't want to buy it just for this recipe. So I did what I normally do and substituted it for espresso powder. 

After whipping up the mixture, I took a little taste test, I just had to see what this magical concoction tasted like. It was sweet, thick, fluffy, definitely tasted like coffee, a strong coffee, and just all around delicious. So delicious, that I liked the bowl clean after adding it to the top of my milk.

Dalgona Coffee

Ingredients:

  • 1 tablespoon espresso powder
  • 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
  • 2 tablespoons hot water
  • 1 1/2 cups milk

Directions:

  1. ​In a medium bowl, add in the coffee, sugar and hot water. Using an electric mixer, with the whisk attachment, whip until the mixture turns golden brown, thick and fluffy, about 3-5 minutes.
  2. Pour the milk into a glass and spoon the coffee mixture over top.
Enjoy!!!

Notes:
If you want a warm drink, heat the milk before adding it to a glass.

The original Dalgona Coffee adds ice cubes to the glass before adding the milk. I did not want the ice to water down my milk, so I choose not to use ice.

Instead of espresso powder you can use 2 tablespoons instant coffee granules.


Nutrition Facts

Servings: 1

Amount Per Serving

Calories: 246

Total Fat

3.8g

Saturated Fat

2.2g

Polyunsaturated Fat

0g

Monounsaturated Fat

0g

Trans Fat

0g

Cholesterol

15mg

Sodium

187.5mg

Potassium

600mg

Total Carbohydrates

43.2g

Dietary Fiber

0g

Sugars

43.2g

Protein

12g

Vitamin A 15% Vitamin C 3%

Calcium 37.5% Iron 0%

*Nutritional information will vary depending on the brands you use.


1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...